Adults play a big role in shaping young people's attitudes toward drinking. Don't be a party to teenage drinking.
Tips to avoid being a party to underage drinking:
- Don't be afraid to be the bad guy. Taking a tough stand on alcohol use can help youth say no when they are pressured to drink by their friends.
- Talk with other adults about hosting alcohol-free youth events. Unity creates a tough, enforceable message.
- Set a positive example. If you host a party, always serve alternative non-alcoholic beverages and do not let anyone drink and drive.
- Stay home if a teen is a hosting a party in your home. Observe the activities and confiscate any alcohol that may be brought by party goers.
- Report underage drinking to the police promptly